Thursday, March 28, 2013

Days 1 and 2 post surgery.

I received my new toy today, a scooter that allows me to put my knee up and cruise around. My doctor highly recommended it and I love it! It is so much better than using crutches.

Here are a few videos:



Day 1 post surgery (3/27/13)
Felt ok throughout the day. The numbing blocks in my leg were slowly wearing off and I could feel and move my toes today, something I couldn't do yesterday. As the numbing wore away, my pain level was around 9-10 for a while. I took some pain meds and this helped a little, taking the pain level down to 5-6. Yesterday I had some nausea, but none today.

In the evening I started to feel hot. So I checked my temperature and it was 102.8! I also had the chills. The doctor told me that it isn't uncommon for people to have a fever after major surgery. We called him at 130am and he told me to come in to see him the next day if I still had the fever. The fever hovered between 101.5 and 102.8 for the rest of the night.

The best part of my day was when my daughter Mikayla (6) made me a few cards (pictures attached).

Day 2 post surgery (3/28/13)
Fever hovered around 100.8 - 101.5 in the morning. Saw Dr Elliot around 130pm and he and his resident took off my cast to make sure that I didn't have an infection. Quite the contrary, no infection and the foot/ankle looked great (see the attached picture). The doctor said that I was doing a great job at keeping it elevated, which helps keep the swelling down. He told me that my Brevis tendon looked "very sick, was split in places, and must have been very painful." He said, you absolutely did the right thing by having the surgery. I expected my foot/ankle to be very swollen post surgery based upon the research I did. I was extremely encouraged by a low swelling level thus far.

I asked him if he thought I could walk, not run, this year's NYC Marathon, which is about 7 months away. He said "maybe", let's see how you progress, but this might be aggressive. I like to have goals, and one of them is to run the NYC Marathon every year, even if I need to walk it.

After I saw Dr. Elliott, I went to see Dr. Saha. He took my temp (100.5), bp (122/78), and put some tubes down my nose. He said I have a severe sinus infection with tons of puss. He said that if my fever goes up anymore I should go to the emergency room, as he was concerned that the infection is so bad that it might carry over to the brain. I'll watch out for it. So, I'll be taking Augmentin, a very strong antibiotic, twice a day for 14 days.







No comments:

Post a Comment