Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 10 Chicago Marathon Training Summary

Week 10 of my 17 week Chicago Marathon Training is complete!  7 weeks to go.

I felt great this week except for the cyst that has come back behind my left knee.  I've been told that cysts come and go and are aggravated by "overuse".  I've only been running 4 days a week, which has helped keep the cyst pain down versus my last marathon, but it is still there.  Bothered me a little during my long run today but isn't hurting as a write this.  My right IT band has been twinging a little, but it was nearly perfect by the end of the week.  I got physical therapy on my right IT band this week (the first time in a month).

Week 10 Summary
  • 4 runs (4.5 miles, 8 miles, 4.5 miles, and 16 miles)
  • 1 swim (1 mile in 42 minutes)
    • I have included a video of me swimming - any advice on becoming more efficient would be greatly appreciated, as I consider myself to be a weak swimmer
  • 1 bike ride (30 miles)
  • Still really enjoying my "easy" runs, not going all out
  • I haven't done any speed work and this has definitely kept the pounding on my legs down

Detail

Monday - swam 1 mile at the West Side YMCA pool, 42 minutes, felt good.  I am capable of swimming faster, but enjoy swimming at a moderate pace.  For future triathlons, my philosophy will be to "survive the swim", keeping energy for the bike and the run.  I don't think that I can gain much time without working much harder.  Having said this, I asked Marlene to take a video of me while swimming in a small pool in the Hamptons a few weeks ago so my friends can give me advice on how to improve my stroke.  Please keep in mind that this is a small pool and I was more concerned about protecting my head versus swimming straight!




Tuesday- 4.5 miles, 8:19 pace, 155 average heart rate, 37:28

Wednesday - 8 miles, 8:33 pace, 155 average heart rate, 1:08:02

Thursday - 4.5 miles, 8:36 pace, 154 average heart rate, 38:48

Friday - Rode 30 miles (5 loops of Central Park) with CL and JS, 18.4 mph, 132 average heart rate, average cadence 70, 1:37:50

Saturday - Off, went to Sesame Place with the family.  Good time.

Sunday- 16 miles, 9:00 pace, 148 average heart rate, 2:25:02.  Ran with RL (visiting from Chicago) and BGR.  75 degrees and 94% humidity at the start, very muggy.  It rained for the last 4 miles of our run.  Felt great, run was very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment