Monday, June 28, 2010

Week 2 of Chicago Marathon Training is Complete

I just completed week 2 of my 17 week Chicago Marathon training program.  I am following a much easier, less aggressive schedule this time, with much more cross training. 

I had a great week.  My knees are feeling much better (I'd say 85%).  I was able to exercise all 7 days over the last week, running 4 times (including 1 race), running 19 miles for the week, swimming twice (1 mile each time), and biking once (52 miles).  It was very hot out all week, easily in the 80s and 90s.  I am training for a triathlon next week, which is why I worked out all 7 days.

Monday - Swam 1 mile in 41 minutes

Tuesday - Ran 4.23 miles on the bridal path at a pace of 8:48 per mile, average heart rate 160

Wednesday - Ran 5.27 miles around the Central Park loop at a pace of 8:38 per mile, average heart rate 152.

Thursday - Swam 1 mile in 40 minutes

Friday - Ran 4 miles on the bridal path at a pace of 8:24 per mile, average heart rate 160.  While the bridal path seems to be easier on my joints as the ground is sandy, it is definitely a much harder workout than running on pavement.

Saturday - ran the 5 mile Gay Pride race in Central Park - average pace 7:37 per mile, average heart rate 174.  Garmin Stats - click here

Sunday - cycled 52 miles with my friend SH in New Jersey (he is a very strong cyclist).  It was extremely hilly and took us 3 hours and 30 minutes, averaging 15 miles per hour (including the hills).  My average heart rate was 134 and my average cadence was 71 (I coasted down most hills, otherwise it would have been higher).   I need to pedal down the hills!  Garmin Stats for my Bike Ride - Click here

My weight is down to 192, down about 6 pounds from my Kenosha Marathon weight of 198 on May 1st.  Since I'm not running all the time, I have been able to reduce my calories and therefore have lost weight.  My weight was over 220 when I began running last June, so I've lost about 28 pounds.  Over the last year, I've also gone from a large to a medium in my clothes and my waist has shrunk so much that I had to buy a new belt!  My cholesterol is down to 180 (from just over 200), my blood pressure is 116/67, and my average resting heart rate is in the 50s (sometimes even in the high 40s).  My Crohn's disease has been in remission and overall I feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment